Sit back, relax, and sip on an Activated Charcoal Lemonade. Fresh-squeezed lemonade and activated charcoal powder blended into a rejuvenating thirst-quencher -the ideal healthy drink on a hot day.
Don’t be frightened by the black hue! This spooky drink puts an invigorating spin on a classic summer drink. Homemade lemonade is supplemented with activated charcoal powder to make a magical drink. You can’t taste the charcoal, but you will absorb its powerful detoxifying abilities.
But what is this activated charcoal stuff? I won’t bore you with the chemistry, but activated charcoal is regular charcoal treated at a high temperature, making it extra porous and toxin-absorbant. For that reason, it’s often used as a treatment for poisonings and even hangovers!
👉 Why You Should Drink Charcoal Lemonade
If this black lemonade still spooks you, perhaps the possible benefits of activated charcoal will change that! As always, please consult with your physician before consuming any new supplements.
- Helps detox the body with little risk of side effects
- A delicious natural hangover remedy
- Great way to stay hydrated while enjoying a luxurious black lemonade
- Boots energy and regulates digestion
Here’s what you’ll need to make a rejuvenating pitcher of charcoal lemonade.
- Water – filtered water or distilled water for the freshest flavor.
- Activated charcoal – 1 teaspoon of loose activated charcoal powder or the powder from the inside of 6 capsules.
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed!
- Sweetener of choice – This is totally a matter of preference, so sweeten your charcoal lemonade with what works for you -honey, maple syrup, monk fruit, stevia, etc. Sugar syrup is also an option, but it’s not the best option if you’re trying to keep things healthy.
- Sea Salt – A pinch of sea salt brightens the lemony taste. It also helps with staying hydrated for extended periods and infuses trace minerals.
- Recommended Tools:
- Liquid glass measuring cup
- Half-gallon pitcher
📖 How To Make Lemonade with Charcoal
1️⃣ Step One: warm water.
Measure a half cup of water in a liquid glass measuring and warm in the microwave for 90 seconds (or in a small saucepan on the stove).
2️⃣ Step Two: dissolve sweetener.
Stir in the sweetener and mix to dissolve fully. Add to a half-gallon pitcher.
3️⃣ Step Three: whisk ingredients.
Add the activated charcoal, lemon juice, salt, and the remaining 6 cups of water to the pitcher, and whisk until all ingredients are fully incorporated without any clumps.
4️⃣ Step Four: garnish and serve.
To serve, pour activated charcoal lemonade over ice and garnish with lemon wheels.
📌 Recipe Tips
- You can use activated charcoal powder or capsules. Just be sure they’re “food-safe.”
- Fresh lemon juice is key. Please don’t use the bottled stuff.
- Store your pitcher covered in the fridge to enjoy an ice-cold charcoal lemonade a few times a day (unless advised otherwise)
Let’s talk about sugar. Sweeten with honey, maple syrup, coconut syrup, or date syrup for a paleo-friendly drink. Use monk fruit sweetener, stevia, erythritol, or keto simple syrup for a keto version.
Swap out the lemons. Use limes to make a charcoal limeade and oranges for charcoal orangeade.
Infuse your pitcher of lemonade with something extra. Muddle fresh mint or basil in the bottom of the pitcher before adding the rest of the lemonade, or add a few pinches of cayenne for some spice and a metabolism boost.
Give it fizz. Use regular or flavored sparkling water to make a delicious detox spritz!
🧊 How To Store
Storing: Activated charcoal lemonade is best served fresh, but you can keep the extras covered in the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
Freezing: To make most of whatever’s left, freezing the liquid into cubes is the way to go. Use the cubes to chill future lemonades and enhance with the magic of activated charcoal.
Feel free to pour yourself a tall glass 2 to 3 times a day.
Yes, it can! It helps with bloating caused by ingesting toxins or poisons, digestion irregularities, and intestinal gas.
Like freshly squeezed lemonade! The activated charcoal is practically tasteless.
There’s minimal risk in taking it daily, but be sure to talk to your doctor before making any changes.
More Specialty Drink Recipes
Activated Charcoal Lemonade
- 1 microwave-safe bowl or saucepan
- 1 Whisk
- 1 ½ gallon pitcher
- 6½ cups filtered water or distilled
- 1 teaspoon activated charcoal or 6 capsules
- 3/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed; about 4 lemons total
- 1/2 cup refined sugar-free sweetener like honey, maple syrup, monk fruit, or stevia
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Measure a 1/2 cup of the water in a liquid glass measuring cup and heat in the microwave for 90 seconds (or in a small saucepan on the stove).
- Add the sweetener to the hot water and stir to dissolve.
- Next, pour the sweet syrup into a half-gallon pitcher and add the activated charcoal, lemon juice, salt, and the remaining 6 cups of water.
- Whisk vigorously until the ingredients are well incorporated and there aren't any clumps.
- To serve, pour the activated charcoal lemonade over ice and garnish with lemon wheels. Keep covered in the frige and enjoy within 2 days.