Cozy up with a cup of Bulletproof Hot Chocolate. This thick, creamy, and super chocolatey hot cocoa recipe is low carb and high fat, making it the perfect sweet and satisfying keto and paleo-friendly hot beverage.
New to Bulletproof coffee? For those following a low carb-high fat protocol like keto or paleo, Bulletproof coffee is aimed to kick your metabolism into ketosis while keeping you feeling full and satisfied.
Today, we’re swapping the coffee for cocoa and making Bulletproof Hot Chocolate. This easy recipe will show you how to make an indulgent batch of Bulletproof hot chocolate, and there’s nothing more comforting than that. One sip, and you’ll understand the hype.
Ready to learn how to make a bulletproof hot chocolate? Let’s do it!
Why You Should Make this Recipe
- Hot chocolate is a delicious caffiene-free alternative to coffee.
- Bulletproof-syle drinks are low carb and high in “good” fats -they’re great for supplementing keto and paleo nutrition.
- You can make your hot cocoa with or without sugar and dairy.
- It only takes a few minutes to make.
Make a warm and cozy cup of Bulletproof hot chocolate with the following ingredients:
- Milk – To make sugar-free and dairy-free hot chocolate, use plant-based milk without added sugar. Almond milk, coconut milk, and oat milk are great options. Otherwise, feel free to use whole milk or heavy cream.
- Cocoa Powder – For milk chocolate flavor, use 100% unsweetened cacao powder. You can also use dark chocolate or raw cacao powder here.
- Sweetener – A small amount of sweetener will enrich the chocolatey flavors. You can use any sweetener here (granules or liquid). See variations for vegan, keto, and paleo sweetening options below.
- MCT Oil – MCT oil is a plant-based medium-chain triglycerides supplement. You can also use coconut oil.
- Collagen Powder – Collagen powder is optional but a great addition. It’s flavorless, so you won’t even know it’s there.
- Recommended Tools:
- Measuring Cup
- High-speed Blender
- Small Saucepan
📖 How To Make Bulletproof Hot Chocolate
1️⃣ Step One: Blend ingredients.
Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend for 15 to 20 seconds or until smooth and well incorporated.
2️⃣ Step Two: Warm mixture.
Pour the chocolate mixture into a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until it’s warmed to your liking. Pour into mugs and enjoy!
👉 Recipe Tips
High-speed Blender – You’ll need a high-speed blender to mix all ingredients into silky-smooth hot chocolate.
Time-saving tip – To save a few minutes, heat the milk on the stovetop first. When it’s warmed to your liking, add it to a high-speed blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend and serve. Be careful pouring the hot milk into the blender and open the lid slowly.
Sweeten to taste – When the hot chocolate is finished, give it a taste. Add more sweetener of your choosing until it’s sweet enough.
Add more cocoa – For a deeper chocolate flavor.
Give it a caffeine kick – Add a few tablespoons of brewed coffee to your hot cocoa. Coffee also richens the flavor of chocolate.
To tailor your Bulletproof hot chocolate to your dietary lifestyle, follow the recommendations below:
- Vegan: Use your favorite vegan milk substitute (almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, or oat milk). A plant-based barista blend also works.
- Paleo: To make paleo hot chocolate, use raw cacao powder, unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk, and a paleo-friendly sweetener like coconut sugar, date sugar, honey, or maple syrup.
- Keto: Blend cacao powder with low-carb milk like almond or coconut. You can also use heavy cream. Use monk fruit, stevia, erythritol, or keto simple syrup for sweetener. In addition to MCT oil and coconut oil, you can use grass-fed butter or ghee to make a keto Bulletproof hot chocolate.
- Iced hot chocolate: MCT solidifies when cold, so use an MCT oil powder instead.
- Hot cocoa toppings: Add a cool and creamy layer of cold foam to your cup. Marshmallows, sea salt, whipped cream, and cinnamon are good options.
- Flavored syrups: Sweeten your hot chocolate with vanilla simple syrup, brown sugar syrup, or any other dessert flavor-infused syrup.
- Flavor extracts: Enrich your cocoa with fun flavored extracts like vanilla, peppermint, almond, hazelnut, coconut, or maple.
🧊 How To Store
Storing: After cooling, pour your Bulletproof hot chocolate into a container with a tight-fitted lid and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat, whisking continuously to reincorporate the MCT oil.
Freezing: Pour any extra hot chocolate mixture into ice cube trays and freeze. Use the frozen cubes to chill your future Bulletproof hot chocolate and coffee drink.
Yes. If you tolerate dairy, butter and ghee are common low carb-high fat ingredients in Bulletproof and keto hot chocolate. The luscious buttery flavor is a yummy bonus.
Generally, no. During your fast window, it is recommended to avoid consuming any liquids with sugars, calories, or carbs. That said, you should enjoy your keto hot cocoa once your fasting window closes.
Yes, but double-check that the ingredients are 100% cacao. Some cocoa powders contain dairy and added sugar.
No. It’s loaded with carbs and sugar making it unsuitable for a low-carb or keto-friendly lifestyle.
🧋 More Specialty Drinks
Bulletproof Hot Chocolate
- High Speed Blender
- Small Saucepan
- Measuring cup
- 10 oz Almond Milk or any plant based milk
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Sweetener or maple syrup, honey, powder, monk fruit, coconut sugar etc.
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil or MCT oil
- 2 tbsp Collagen powder optional
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender.
- Blend for 15-30 seconds or until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium low heat until desired temperature is reached.
- Pour into mugs and serve.