Who would have thought the secret to the best dairy-free latte is nuts?! Cashew Coffee is made with brewed coffee, roasted cashews, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt blended into an unbelievably smooth and creamy coffee drink. Serve hot or cold.
Today, we’re ditching dairy creamer in our coffee and adding cashews! Okay, we get it -cashews in coffee sounds weird but stick with us on this. Blending cashews into black coffee transforms it into a luscious dairy-free latte. Delicious is an understatement. Sipping on a hot and frothy cup of cashew coffee is like drinking dessert for breakfast (or any meal, really).
However, this drinkable dessert is good for you! Cashews are high in healthy fats, which help slow down caffeine absorption for all-day energy. Are you ready to treat yourself to a comforting cup of creamy coffee with no cream? Start a pot of coffee, and let’s do it!
👉 Why You Should Make Cashew Coffee
- It’s SO creamy. If you’re looking for non-dairy coffee creamer comparable to half and half, this is it!
- The wholesome ingredients. It’s made with non-processed, natural ingredients and no refined sugar. It’s perfect for paleo and a great alternative to dairy creamer on Whole30.
- It’s quick and easy!
☕ Ingredients & Substitutions
You’ll need four simple ingredients to make cashew coffee. For Whole30, be sure to omit the honey or maple syrup.
- Brewed Coffee: Use a french press or coffee maker to brew hot coffee. You can use any coffee (regular or decaf). We recommend using medium to dark roasted ground beans with sweet, full-bodied flavor.
- Roasted Cashews: You can also use raw unsalted cashews and add salt to taste at the end.
- Honey or Maple Syrup: Cashews already have a naturally sweet flavor. A splash of honey makes it perfect. Use maple syrup, agave syrup, or date syrup to make it vegan.
- Sea Salt: A pinch of salt neutralizes any bitterness and enhances the naturally sweet and floral flavors.
- Recommended Tools:
- French Press – to brew fresh coffee. An old-school coffee pot works too.
- High-Speed Blender – With a high-speed blender (like a Vitamix), you won’t need to worry about pieces of pulverized cashews in your coffee. Everything blends smoothly.
- Mason Jar – for storage.
📖 How to Make Cashew Coffee
1️⃣ Step One: Brew Coffee
First, you’ll need to brew fresh black coffee.
2️⃣ Step Two: Add All Ingredients To High-Speed Blender
Then, add your freshly brewed hot coffee, roasted cashews, honey, and sea salt to a high-speed blender.
3️⃣ Step Three: Blend
Blend for 15 to 30 seconds or until the mixture becomes a creamy, frothy latte consistency. This will take more or less time depending on how soft your cashews are and how powerful your blender is.
4️⃣ Step Four: Pour & Enjoy
Last but not least, serve hot in a mug or chilled in a glass over ice. Enjoy!
🌟You want to use cashews that are as fresh as possible for this recipe. If your cashews look very dry or stale, you may need to soak them in water for at least 2 hours to soften. 🌟
➡️ Recipe Tips
- You can use raw cashews and then add salt to taste. If using raw cashews, you may need to soak them in a bowl of water overnight or a bowl of hot water for a couple of hours.
- However, a heavy-duty high-speed blender should be able to chop and blend the cashews without a problem.
- Keep in mind 1 tablespoon of cashews is the perfect amount for 3 ounces of brewed coffee.
- Prefer iced cashew coffee? Pour hot cashew coffee over ice or chill in the fridge. If the liquid separates, give it a good shake until it’s smooth again.
This basic cashew coffee recipe is incredible as is. If you want to adapt the recipe to your dietary lifestyle or add a fun flavor, check out the options below!
- Whole30 Cashew Coffee: Added sugar, both refined and unrefined, are out on Whole30. You’ll need to omit the honey to keep things compliant, but your cashew coffee with be delicious regardless. Add some cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for sweetness if you need to.
- Bulletproof Cashew Coffee: Bulletproof coffee is infused with healthy fats to keep you feeling satisfied and energized. In addition to cashews, add butter, ghee, coconut oil, or MCT oil to boost the fat content.
- Keto Cashew Coffee: Omit the honey and use keto simple syrup.
- Snickerdoodle Cashew Coffee: Add a tablespoon of cinnamon and a scant 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Now, THIS is a drinkable dessert.
- Chocolate Cashew Coffee – Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder.
- Simple Syrup Flavors – Blend in a tablespoon or two of flavored syrup like vanilla, brown sugar, hazelnut, or amaretto.
- Almond Cashew Coffee – Swap out half of the cashews for almonds. You can also try macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, and pecans.
🥶 How To Store
You probably won’t have much of this cozy and comforting coffee leftover, but just in case:
Storing: It’sbest enjoyed immediately, but you can store extra in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Keep it in an airtight container or jar. If separation occurs, give it a shake until reblended.
Freezing: Freezing extra coffee drinks is the way to go. You can freeze it in ice cube trays to have on hand for smoothies, shakes, and iced coffee. Use within 2 months.
Cashew milk is creamy, naturally sweet, and great in coffee. For a light plant-based latte, cashew milk is the best. Whole cashews are the better option for a thicker, frothier consistency with healthy fats.
You can try using almonds similar to Hijazi coffee, a popular Saudi Arabian drink made from brewing whole almonds. It’s also called white coffee or sweet coffee.
Use any coffee you prefer; flavored, regular, decaf -you name it! A robust dark roast goes excellent with sweet and nutty cashews
Instead of whole cashews, you can blend 1 to 2 tablespoons of cashew butter (or any nut butter) into hot brewed coffee.
More Coffee Drinks
- High Speed Blender
- 10 oz Brewed Coffee black
- 3 tbsp Roasted Cashews unsalted
- 2 tsp Maple Syrup or honey to taste
- ⅛ tsp Sea Salt optional, to taste
- If necessary, soak your cashews for 2 hours.
- Brew 10 ounces of coffee.
- Add the cashews and coffee to a high speed blender.
- Blend for 15-30 seconds or until cashews are creamy and broken down fully.
- Stir in honey, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt to taste.