This Cranberry Matcha Latte showcases sweet, bright & tart cranberries with rich, earthy matcha green tea in a delicious homemade matcha drink. It’s creamy, dreamy, and the perfect iced or hot matcha latte for the holiday season.
Be your own barista and learn how to make all of your favorite matcha flavors from scratch, starting with cranberry. These easy-to-follow instructions will teach you how to make cranberry-infused syrup and matcha green, to shake into a berrylicious and cheerful iced matcha drink.
You”ll love the complexity of tart and tangy cranberries with luscious matcha green tea in this DIY matcha latte. Everything about it screams the holiday season. It comes together quickly with simple ingredients, and the matcha has just enough caffeine to put extra pep in your step!
So why must you make this cranberry matcha latte? Here are the highlights:
- Budget-friendly. A grande Starbucks matcha latte will run you around $4. Making DIY flavored iced matcha lattes is much more cost-effective.
- Quick and easy. After making the cranberry syrup (you can also use store-bought), it takes less than a minute to shake this matcha latte up and serve.
- The flavors. Tart, and tangy cranberries pair PERFECTLY with the sweet and earthy matcha goodness.
- Flexible. You can make a vegan version, add more flavors, add cold foam, enjoy it hot, and so much more.
So are you ready to learn how to make this fun and flavorful cranberry matcha? Let’s break down the details of this delicious drink.
A few things to remember while gathering the of ingredients:
Matcha green tea powder – Matcha is a powdered green tea that originated from Japan. It is made by mixing fine green tea powder with water. In this recipe we’re mixing it with hot water, milk and cranberry syrup for a winter berry twist on traditional matcha. Below are a few of the many potential benefits of drinking matcha.
- Boosts metabolism
- Increases energy levels
- Detoxifies the body
- Lowers cholesterol
- Reduces stress levels
Hot water – This is for dissolving the matcha powder. For the purest flavor, use filtered or distilled water.
Cranberry simple syrup – It’s simple to make yourself with fresh or frozen cranberries, sugar, and water, but you can also buy a bottle of cranberry cocktail syrup. See FAQ for recommendations.
Milk or milk alternative – You pick! Use your favorite dairy creamer like heavy cream, half & half, whole milk, or low-fat milk -or opt for any vegan alternative.
👉 Recommended Tools: Before getting started, gather your equipment. You’ll need measuring cups and spoons, a matcha whisk (or regular whisk), and a cocktail shaker (or tall durable glass and a long handle iced tea spoon).
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
These step-by-step instructions will show you how to shake up an iced matcha latte from scratch with bursts of vibrant cranberry.
1️⃣ Step One: Make cranberry simple syrup
Add cranberries, sugar, and water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer until the sugar has fully dissolved, the cranberries burst and release their juices, and the liquid thickens into a syrup.
Remove from the heat and let cool. Then strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve to remove the skins and pulp. Store in a glass container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
2️⃣ Step Two: Make the matcha
Add matcha powder and hot water to a small bowl. Whish well with a matcha whisk (or regular whisk) until the powder is fully dissolved. Set aside.
3️⃣ Step Three: Shake and serve
Add the cranberry syrup, prepared matcha, and milk to a cocktail shaker or large glass, and shake or stir until your latte is smooth and creamy. Pour over ice and enjoy!
🍵 How to make a hot cranberry matcha latte
- After making the cranberry simple syrup and dissolving the matcha powder in hot water, warm your choice of milk in a small saucepan or in the microwave until very warm.
- Pour the warm milk, cranberry syrup, and prepared matcha in a mug and stir.
As for customixing your iced matcha latte, the options are endless. Here are few ideas to get your started:
- Keto cranberry latte – Cook down and mash cranberries to make cranberry juice. Then, use the juice to flavor sugar-free simple syrup. As for the milk, heavy cream makes lattes thick and creamy without adding extra carbs and sugar.
- Dairy-free & vegan – Matcha lattes made with plant-based milk instead of dairy milk are just as delicious. You can use soy milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, oat milk, almond milk, or a non-dairy barista blend.
- Flavor enhancements – Use a blend of bright berry and fruity flavors. Replace half of the cranberry syrup with raspberry, strawberry, or, orange, or blueberry-infused syrup. Sage, vanilla, and thyme-spiced syrups also pair well with tart cranberries.
- Cold foam – A decadent layer or cold foam takes this iced latte to the next level. Try with regular cold foam, matcha cold foam, or peppermint cold foam.
- Store-bought syrup – Making cranberry simple syrup from scratch is easy, but you can also buy it. Brands like Monin and Torani offer a wide variety of simple syrup flavors, including cranberry.
♻️ How to store
Refrigerator Storage: Strain liquid away from ice into a glass container with a tight-fitting lid. Store in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Stir and pour over a fresh glass of ice before serving.
Freezer Storage: DIY lattes are best enjoyed enjoed fresh. However, leftovers can be frozen in a freezer-safe container (leaving room for expansion) for up to 3 months.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Typically, a matcha powder with a rich green hue is higher quality and, therefore, better tasting. For a budget-friendly and great-tasting matcha, look for a “ceremonial blend” within the $15 – $25 price range.
Yes, Japanese green tea leaves inherently have caffeine so matcha green tea powder does contain caffeine. However, the caffiene in matcha isn’t a strong as coffee.
Matcha powder is full of tiny bubbles which is what makes it so foamy. When matcha powder is mixed with milk or cream, those bubbles expand and create a foamy texture.
🧋More iced matcha drinks
- Apple Matcha Latte
- Blackberry Matcha Latte
- Strawberry Matcha Latte
- Raspberry Matcha Latte
- Blueberry Matcha Latte
- Turmeric Matcha Latte
Cranberry Matcha Latte
- 1 Small Saucepan
- 1 fine mesh sieve
- 1 glass jar or bottle for storing extra cranberry syrup
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 matcha whisk or regular whisk
- 1 cocktail shaker or tall glass & a long-handle iced tea spoon
For iced latte
- 2 tablespoons cranberry simple syrup
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 2 ounces hot water
- 8 ounces milk or milk alternative (heavy whipping cream, nut milk, vegan barista blend, etc.)
- 1/2 cup ice
- Add cranberries, sugar, and water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer, and cook until the sugar has fully dissolved, the cranberries burst and release their juices, and the liquid thickens into a syrup.
- Remove from the heat and let cool. Then strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve to remove the skins and pulp. Store in a glass container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add matcha powder and hot water to a small bowl and mix well with a matcha whisk (or a regular whisk will do). Set aside.
- Add the cranberry syrup, prepared matcha, and milk to a cocktail shaker or large glass, and shake or stir until smooth and creamy. Serve over ice and enjoy!