Matcha is a delicious green tea that has many health benefits. It’s also great for making cold foam! Learn how to make Matcha Cold Foam and how to use it in your favorite drinks. Perfect for summertime drinks, and a great way to enjoy the health benefits of green tea.
Matcha is a type of green tea that is made from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. The leaves are ground into a powder and then mixed with water to create a matcha tea.
✅Matcha (Green Tea) Benefits
- Boosts metabolism
- Increases energy levels
- Detoxifies the body
- Lowers cholesterol
- Reduces stress levels
Matcha can be used in many different ways, but one of our favorites is to make a matcha cold foam. Cold foam is made by whipping matcha and cream into foam. It’s light, airy, and delicious!
You can use it to top your favorite coffee, tea, or milk drink. It’s also great for making matcha drinks, iced teas, and even frozen matcha lattes.
While you can order sweet cream cold foam with matcha at Starbucks, we love making our own to save money and control the taste.
Ready to learn how to make matcha cold foam from scratch? Let’s do it!
🍵Ingredients & Tools
You’ll need just 3 simple ingredients to make this cold foam and only 2 if you don’t want it to be sweet!
- Matcha Powder – This gives the foam its matcha flavor and green color. You can buy matcha powder online or at most health food stores.
- Heavy Cream – This is what makes the cold foam light and airy. We recommend using heavy cream, but you could also use whipping cream or even whole milk.
- Sweetener – This is optional, but we like to add a little bit of honey, sugar, or vanilla simple syrup to sweeten.
For a vegan matcha cold foam, use creamy plant-based milk such as a barista blend oat milk.
- Electric Frother
- Stick Frother
🥣How To Make Matcha Sweet Cream Cold Foam
1️⃣ Step One: Chill the Cream
You want to start out by making sure you start out with heavy cream or milk that is chilled well as this will produce the best texture.
2️⃣ Step Two: Add the ingredients
Add the heavy cream, matcha powder, and simple syrup to the bottom of an electric frother or the bottom of a glass jar if you’re using a stick frother.
3️⃣ Step Three: Create the cold foam
Turn on the electric frother and let it aerate until small bubbles are present and everything is mixed together into a creamy and frothy blend.
4️⃣ Step Four: Top your drink
Pour the cold foam on top of your favorite drink whether iced or hot. Enjoy!
- Use good quality matcha. We recommend ceremonial grade matcha from Japan for the best flavor. Avoid matcha powder that is unnaturally bright green in color as it may be of lower quality.
- Sift matcha powder before adding to avoid clumps in the cold foam.
- Do not overmix or the foam will become too dense and thick.
- Add matcha powder a little at a time to get the desired matcha flavor.
- If using an electric frother, start on a lower setting and gradually increase to avoid making too much foam.
☕How To Order Cold Foam With Matcha From Starbucks
Love the taste so much that you want to enjoy it on the go? Order matcha cold foam from Starbucks using these simple steps:
- First, order your favorite drink. We recommend a matcha green tea latte, iced matcha green tea, or matcha green tea Frappuccino.
- Next, ask for cold foam on top, but ask them to blend in some matcha powder. They have a special machine to blend milk with different flavors and cold foam can definitely be made with matcha.
- Have them use it to top your drink and enjoy!
Try out the following drinks with a dollop of matcha-flavored cold foam on top!
- Iced Matcha Latte
- Matcha Chai Tea Latte
- Iced Blueberry Matcha Latte
- Pink Drink
- Iced Americano
- Frozen Matcha Latte
- Lavender Matcha Latte
- Iced Pineapple Matcha Drink
Cold foam is best served immediately as the bubbles will eventually pop turning the cold foam back to a liquid cream again. For best results, make as much as you need for each drink.
Yes, Matcha and cold foam are match made in heaven. The matcha powder gives the cold foam a delicious flavor and green color.
Yes, Starbucks has matcha cold foam! To order it, ask for matcha powder to be blended into the cold foam and used to top your favorite drink.
Matcha powder is full of tiny bubbles which is what makes it so foamy. When matcha powder is mixed with milk or cream, those bubbles get bigger and create a foamy texture.
🧋More Specialty Sips
- Matcha Turmeric Latte
- Peanut Butter Cold Brew Coffee
- Lavender Chai Tea Latte
- Iced Guava Passionfruit Drink
Matcha Cold Foam
- Electric Frother or stick frother
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Matcha Powder
- 1 tbsp Simple Syrup
- You want to start out by making sure you start out with heavy cream or milk that is chilled well as this will produce the best texture.
- Add the heavy cream, matcha powder, and simple syrup to the bottom of an electric frother or the bottom of a glass jar if you’re using a stick frother.
- Turn on the electric frother and let it aerate until small bubbles are present and everything is mixed together into a creamy and frothy blend.
- Pour the cold foam on top of your favorite drink whether iced or hot. Enjoy!