The Wendy’s Strawberry Frosty may be a limited summertime offer, but with this copycat recipe, you can make your own thick and creamy strawberry-flavored frosty from the comfort of your kitchen any day of the year!
The Frosty has been on Wendy’s menu since the first restaurant opened in 1969. Since then, it’s become everyone’s favorite one-of-a-kind fast food dessert. The iconic Frosty is similar to a chocolate milkshake but has a spoon-ready, soft-serve-like consistency.
As of June 6, 2022, Wendy’s added another Frosty flavor option to the lineup: the Strawberry Frosty. Imagine the distinct delectable, luscious texture of a vanilla-flavored frosty but sweetened with fresh-picked summer strawberry flavor.
Unfortunately, the Strawberry Frosty won’t be on Wendy’s menu for long. However, with this frosty copycat recipe, you can treat yourself to a homemade strawberry frosty whenever you’re craving something sweet.
Making this strawberry frosty is as simple as blending vanilla ice cream, milk, and store-bought or homemade strawberry simple syrup in a high-speed blender. No fancy Frosty machine is needed!
👉 Why You Should Make A Strawberry Frosty From Scratch
- When the strawberry flavor disappears from Wendy’s menu, this copycat is sure to cure your craving.
- It’s the perfect frozen treat for a hot summer day or after-dinner dessert.
- There are only four ingredients, and it takes 5 minutes to make.
- Making your own Frosty puts you in charge of the ingredients and flavors.
Here’s what you’ll need to make a strawberry milkshake that tastes exactly like a Strawberry Frosty:
- Vanilla ice cream – For the best-tasting results, use a quality, budget-friendly vanilla ice cream. Haagen-Dazs, Breyers, and Turkey Hill are great options.
- Whole milk – This liquid element thins the ice cream into an extra creamy smoothie consistency. You can also use heavy cream here.
- Strawberry syrup – Making strawberry flavored syrup from scratch is quick and easy, but you can use a store-bought syrup like Hershey’s, Smucker’s, or Monin instead.
- Xanthan gum – This is optional but recommended. It helps thicken the mixture and improve consistency.
- Recommended tools – You’ll need measuring cups, spoons, and a high-speed blender to make Frosties at home.
📖 How To Make A Copycat Strawberry Frosty
1️⃣ Step One: Blend ingredients
Add the vanilla ice cream, whole milk, strawberry simple syrup, ice, and xanthan gum (if using) to a high-speed blender. Then blend until the mixture is super smooth and creamy.
2️⃣ Step Two: Adjust strawberry flavor and serve
Give it a quick taste, and blend in more strawberry syrup as needed. Then, pour into a tall glass and enjoy cold with a spoon.
💭 Recipe Tips
Check out these tips and tricks to set yourself up for strawberry frosty-making success.
- Much like a strawberry milkshake, all the ingredients must be cold to make a good Frosty.
- Feel free to add as little or as much strawberry-flavored syrup as you prefer.
- The xanthan gum is optional. It helps stabilize the ingredients and acts as a binder to improve the rich and creamy mouthfeel.
- A heavy-duty high-speed blender works best. If your blender isn’t as powerful, the final product may not be as smooth and creamy.
Feel free to use this copycat recipe as a canvas for customized Frosty flavors. You can swap strawberry syrup for any fruit-infused syrup or use a combination of flavors, like:
To make strawberry chocolate frosty, blend cocoa powder or chocolate syrup with the rest of the ingredients.
Add fresh or frozen strawberries to the mix for an extra burst of sweet, tart, and juicy strawberry flavor.
🧊 How To Store
Storing: This recipe yields one 16-ounce strawberry shake. If you plan to enjoy any leftovers within a few hours, keep them covered in the fridge.
Freezing: Otherwise, transfer the mixture to a freezer-safe container, and store it in the freezer for up to one month.
This flavor is only available for a limited time during the summer and will most likely be discontinued in the fall.
The calorie count ranges from 200-600 calories, depending on the size. For instance, a medium (16-ounce) Strawberry Frosty has about 480 calories. This homemade version has around the same amount.
You can omit the ice cream. However, the consistency won’t be as thick, creamy, and milkshake-like.
🥤More Specialty Sips
- Mango Limeade
- Strawberry Almond Milk
- Iced Gingerbread Latte
- Frozen Matcha Latte
- Chocolate Cream Cold Brew
- Iced Raspberry Matcha Latte
Strawberry Frosty (Wendy’s Copycat)
- High Speed Blender
- 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons strawberry syrup homemade strawberry simple syrup or store-bought
- 1 cup ice
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum optional
- Add vanilla ice cream, milk, strawberry syrup, ice, and xanthan gum to a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add more strawberry syup to preference. Enjoy immediately.