This easy method for how to make Vegan Cold Foam gives you a creamy and decadent way to enjoy your favorite coffee and tea drinks. Suitable for any dairy-free or vegan lifestyle!
If you’ve been watching the cold foam craze unfold but you follow a vegan or dairy-free lifestyle, you don’t need to miss out!
Cold foam is simply a mixture of milk and cream that has been aerated just enough to become a creamy foam texture. It’s very similar to whipped cream but with less air.
This texture is great to add to the liquid because most of it sits on top allowing you to get a fresh creamy taste in every sip. If you’re vegan, you can easily make your own cold foam using plant-based milk and a few simple steps.
Why You Should Make Vegan Cold Foam
- You can enjoy a rich and creamy coffee or tea on a plant-based lifestyle.
- It’s easy to make right at home from scratch.
- You can any flavor you enjoy to customize your drink.
☕Ingredients & Equipment
- Canned Coconut Cream – Coconut cream is the creamy part of coconut when all the liquid is separated out. You can get coconut cream by itself or use a can of coconut milk that’s been refrigerated to separate the liquid.
- Plant-Based Milk – A touch of your favorite plant-based milk helps thin out the coconut cream and makes it easier to aerate.
- Sea Salt – A pinch of sea salt helps to balance the natural flavors in the milk.
- Electric Milk Frother
- Hand Mixer
📃How To Make Vegan Cold Foam
There are a few different ways you can turn coconut cream and milk into a velvety cold foam. You can use an electric milk frother, hand mixer, or a simple bowl with a whisk.
🌟Before Making Cold Foam: Refrigerate your canned coconut milk for a few hours or overnight. Do not shake or agitate the can to keep the solids on top. Open the can and remove the coconut cream and discard the water at the bottom.
1️⃣ Using An Electric Frother
If you’re using a milk frother pitcher, add chilled coconut cream and milk to the bottom and froth until a thick foam consistency is formed. If you have a handheld frother, place the ingredients in a jar and froth until a thick foam is formed.
2️⃣ Using A Hand Mixer
You can also use a hand mixer or kitchen stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Simply add the ingredients to a bowl and beat on medium speed until foam is formed.
3️⃣ Using A Bowl & Whisk
This method will take the most elbow grease, but will do the trick! Add your ingredients to a bowl and whisk by hand with vigorous strokes to aerate the foam until it’s thick.
There are so many ways you can flavor vegan cold foam to fit your personal tastes or to pair with the flavors of your specialty coffee and tea drinks.
- Vegan Vanilla Cold Foam – Add vanilla syrup
- Vegan Brown Sugar Cold Foam – Add Brown Sugar Syrup
- Cinnamon Cold Foam – Add a dash of cinnamon
- Vegan Mocha Cold Foam – Add a dash of cocoa powder
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cold Foam – Add a tsp of pumpkin puree and a dash of pumpkin pie spice
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cold Foam – Add a dash of dried peanut butter powder.
- Vegan Peppermint Cold Foam – Add a drop of peppermint extract.
♻How To Store Vegan Cold Foam
When making a batch of cold foam, it’s important to make just enough for what you’ll need as cold foam loses its air fairly quickly.
- Storing: Add any leftover cold foam to an airtight container or jar in the fridge for 24 hours. You may need to whip it up the next day to incorporate any air that was lost.
- Freezing: Freezing homemade vegan cold foam is not recommended.
If you’d like to make a vegan cold foam without coconut milk, you’ll need to purchase a barista blend plant milk such as Oatly or the plant-based barista milk from Califia Farms.
At this time, it uses dairy ingredients. You can request for them to make foam from plant-based milk but it will not have the same texture.
If you would like to make cold foam from almond milk, you need to make sure the milk has a higher fat content than shelf-stable almond milk. This works best with a barista blend of milk that helps it froth.
The best vegan milk to froth would be coconut milk or oat milk. Coconut milk tends to have a high-fat content that holds air well. Oat milk has a bit of starch which makes it thicken easier.
Try adding vegan cold foam to a cup of Homemade Cold Brew Coffee or Decaf Cold Brew!
Vegan Cold Foam
- Electric Milk Frother
- Bowl & Whisk
- Hand Mixer
- ¼ cup Coconut Cream chilled
- 2 tbsp Oat Milk or other plant based milk
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar OPTIONAL
- Before Making Cold Foam: Refrigerate your canned coconut milk for a few hours or overnight. Do not shake or agitate the can to keep the solids on top. Open the can and remove the coconut cream and discard the water at the bottom.
3 Easy Methods To Make Vegan Cold Foam
- 1️⃣ Using An Electric Frother: If you're using a milk frother pitcher, add coconut cream and milk to the bottom and froth until a thick foam consistency is formed. If you have a handheld frother, place the ingredients in a jar and froth until a thick foam is formed.
- 2️⃣ Using A Hand Mixer: You can also use a hand mixer or kitchen stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Simply add the ingredients to a bowl and beat on medium speed until foam is formed.
- 3️⃣ Using A Bowl & Whisk: This method will take the most elbow grease, but will do the trick! Add your ingredients to a bowl and whisk by hand with vigorous strokes to aerate the foam until it's thick.